Robotic Surgery Gold Coast
Dr Jason Tsung is one of the first Orthopaedic Surgeons on the Gold Coast to perform unicompartmental knee replacement and hip replacement surgery, utilising a state-of-the-art robotic-assisted surgery arm known as the Stryker Mako Robot.
Dr Tsung will be performing these operations from John Flynn Private Hospital in Tugun which consists of the hospital building, a six-storey specialist medical centre, the East Coast Cancer Centre Radiotherapy building and onsite services of radiology, pathology and pharmacy.
Robotic-Assisted Unicompartmental Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery
Robotic-assistance enables highly accurate implant placement and alignment based on each patient’s specific anatomy when performing hip and knee replacement surgery.
The robotic assisted procedures which Dr Jason Tsung performs are partial or ‘half’ knee replacements and total hip replacement.
Clinical Studies Highlight Increased Accuracy and Kinematic Outcomes for Unicompartmental Knee Replacement Surgery and Hip Replacement Surgery
According to international research the robotic-assisted arm implantation resulted in two to three times more accurate unicompartmental knee implantation than manual implantation [1-5] and four to six times more accurate hip replacement surgery than manually placed cups 
Clinical and radiographic outcomes also revealed that patients who received robotic arm assisted fixed bearing unicompartmental knee replacement (UKR) were nine times more likely to be discharged within 24 hours compared to patients receiving fixed bearing UKR with standard instrumentation .
Functional kinematic outcomes with robotic-assisted partial knee replacement resulted in saving the cruciates which in-turn assisted in producing more normal knee kinematics than manual total knee replacement (TKR) 
Gold Coast Robotic Surgery will currently only be performed from John Flynn Private Hospital. All enquiries related to robotic assisted surgery should be made to Dr Jason Tsung’s head office on 1300 399 223.
1. Citak M, Suero EM, Citak M, Dunbar NJ, Branch SH, Conditt MA, Banks SA, Pearle AD. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: Is robotic technology more accurate than conventional technique? Knee. 2013;20(4): 268-71. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2012.11.001. Epub 2012 Nov 30.
2. Dunbar NJ, Roche MW, Park BH, Branch SH, Conditt MA, Banks SA. Accuracy of dynamic tactile-guided unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty.2012;27(5):803-8 e1.
3. Lonner JH. Robotic arm-assisted unicompartmental arthroplasty. In, Master techniques in orthopedic surgery: Knee arthroplasty. Lotke PA and Lonner JH, Editors. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2008. Philadelphia, PA.
4. Lonner JH. Robotic arm-assisted unicompartmental arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty. 2009;20(1): 15-22.
5. Pearle AD, O’Loughlin PF, Kendoff DO. Robot-assisted unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2010 Feb;25(2):230-7. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2008.09.024. Epub 2008 Dec 4.
6. Sinha RK. Outcomes of robotically assisted unicompartmental arthroplasty. Am J Orthop. 2009;XXXVIII(2 Suppl):20-2.
7. Nawabi DH, Conditt MA, Ranawat AS, Dunbar NJ, Jones J, Banks S, Padgett DE. Haptically guided robotic technology in total hip arthroplasty – A cadaveric Investigation. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2013 Mar;227(3):302-9.
8. Argenson JN, Parratte S, Bertani A, Aubaniac JM, Lombardi AV Jr, Berend KR, Adams JB, Lonner JH, Mahoney OM, Kinsey TL, John TK, Conditt MA. The new arthritic patient and arthroplasty treatment options. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Aug;91(Suppl 5): 43-8. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.I.00406.
9. Coon TM, Driscoll M, Horowitz S, Conditt MA. Robotically assisted UKA is more accurate than manually instrumented UKA. 23rd Conference of the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT), 2011, Tel Aviv, Israel.
10. Watanabe T, Banks SA, Kreuzer S, Leffers K, Muneta T, Conditt MA, Jones J. Deep flexion kinematics with robotic modular knee arthroplasty. International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, 2012, San Diego, CA.
Contact Dr J Tsung
|1300 399 223|
|(07) 3041 5087|
Suite 6C Fred McKay House
42 Inland Dr, Tugun Qld 4224
This informative graphic addresses Knee Arthritis. It outlines what knee arthritis is, how it is caused, how we diagnose it and the many treatments there are for knee arthritis.
Advanced robotic technology for partial knee and full hip replacement surgery will be introduced next week by Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dr. Jason Tsung at the newly constructed Gold Coast Surgical Hospital.
GOLD COAST — Groundbreaking robotic assisted technology is now available at The John Flynn Private Hospital with orthopaedic surgeon Dr Jason Tsung for patients undergoing advanced unicompartmental knee replacement and total hip replacement surgery.
This informative graphic illustrates Meniscus Injuries. It outlines what meniscal tears are, how they are caused, how we diagnose them and the non-surgical and surgical treatments to repair a torn meniscus.
In Orthopaedic surgery, robotic surgery implies the surgeon will have a robotic arm to assist him or her whilst performing the surgery. In essence the robotic arm is a sophisticated tool the surgeon uses for the critical elements of the procedure.
Preventing injuries before they occur means saving yourself unnecessary pain, time & money. This guide explores how to avoid some common sports injuries.
This is a graphic providing a general overview of preoperative information for orthopaedic surgery patients. Please consult your GP or surgeon for any medical advice.
The combined measures you take can make all the difference on your road to recovery, so consider these guidelines for providing postoperative pain relief after undergoing orthopaedic surgery.
This article provides a general overview of the process of orthopaedic surgery for patients. Please consult your GP or surgeon for any medical advice.
The number of total hip replacements are becoming more common in younger patients. This guide explores strategies which can help to preserve the hip joints.